How Does the Best Buy Movie Mode Work In Despicable me? Updated.

Written on July 9, 2010 – 8:36 pm | by bluehash |

Most of you must have watched the hilarious animation “Despicable Me” and been amused by the millions of minions in the movie. Best Buy released an application which automatically starts deciphering what the minions are jabbering about during the end credits. Caution however, the application works only for the 3D version of the movie.

During the opening credits, you are requested to download the Best Buy Movie Mode application and choose the movie theater nearest to you. Once downloaded, you select “Enter Movie Mode” just before the movie starts. The phone then dims out, goes into silent mode through the length of the movie and then wakes up during the end credits.

I was totally puzzled and amazed as to how the phone perfectly synced the the conversation on movie screen to titles on the phone screen. Searching the web did not bring up any thing, but there was some text in an Examiner.com’s article about how this works.

Apparently the phone listens to the movie soundtrack and minion speak to sync the conversation between the movie screen and the phone’s screen. Minion speak may be gibberish to us humans, but makes perfect sense to phones. The software listens to cues in the audio and uses it as a guide to display conversations.So in case you cover up your microphone by mistake, you might not be able to experience it.

Update:
End Credits Scene

Related Posts

18 Responses to “How Does the Best Buy Movie Mode Work In Despicable me? Updated.”

1. erica says:

Thanks for the explanation!

2. Tam says:

How does it work? It doesn’t! I started the app at the beginning of the movie, waited until the credits . . . and nothing happened. I even had the phone sitting on the arm rest of the chair, not in my pocket. So, if it is supposed to work by recognizing the movie soundtrack – well, it needs some tweaking.

• bluehash says:

It should have worked. Were you watching the 3d version of the movie? My friend had an iPhone and it worked ok. Which phone do you have?

• LHindiii says:

Did you leave the app during the movie for texting or otherwise?

• bluehash says:

No, you do not leave the application. Once the application starts, it dims the phone and goes into silent mode.
          You can try starting it before the end credits, it should work as its listening to audible cues. I’m not sure if this would work out though.

3. Ralh says:

FYI, it works only in the 3D version of the movie.

4. Andy says:

Worked perfectly for me. I even mistakenly exited out of the app moments before the movie started, but then quickly turned it back on and it worked fine. I have a 3GS and was in the 3-D movie.

5. 3dscard says:

dude,that was really,really good.

6. secis says:

I just wanted to comment your blog and say that I really enjoyed reading your blog post here. It was very informative and I also digg the way you write! Keep it up and I’ll be back to read more in the future…

7. Figures says:

Just saw the movie yesterday. It was pretty good, especially the ending.

8. moviewatcher says:

Just letting you guys know, I watched this move in non 3D and the app worked on my droid phone but not on my iPhone or the 2 other ppl’s iPhones…. but did work on the droid eris in regular deff..

9. ust saw the movie yesterday. It was pretty good, especially the ending.

10. LOY says:

Fantastic article.Awesome Info!!!
    keep it up.

11. nuetron says:

Hmm, the videos aren’t working.

Me

Welcome to my place on the web. I note down anything interesting most of them relating to my experiences, Tech, To-dos, How-tos and various hacks. Most of my time is spent in tinkering around with hardware, building robots and working with DSPs.More

Want to subscribe?